DIET FOR PREGNANCY
A proper diet for pregnancy is required in the second trimester. In most pregnant women, morning sickness and loss of appetite disappears in the second trimester. This is the best time to load your body with nutrients that are essential for the growing baby and the expectant mother.
1) Chicken Salad
Once in a while, you can pamper your-self with delicious meals and not just stick to healthy food cravings. Chicken salad is one such recipe that is good for your tummy and yummy for your palate.
- Cooked &chopped boneless chicken – 2 cups
- Cored and chopped crisp apple – 1
- Pomegranate – ¼ cup
- Mayonnaise – 2 to 3 tablespoons (substitute with low fat plain yogurt)
- Minced shallots (small onions) — 4-5
- Minced parsley (substitute with coriander leaves) – 1 tablespoon
- Cider vinegar – 1 to 2 tablespoon
- Pepper and salt – for taste
- Add all the ingredients in a salad bowl or wide spread bowl and toss them till they
- Take some and place it on salad greens (lettuce or any green of your choice) and sandwich them with 2 slices of multi grain wheat bread.
- You can also have it as a salad & replace apples with cranberries.
2) Veggie Omelette
Breakfast is an important meal of the day, especially for pregnant women. Morning sickness and vomiting might keep you away from food in the first trimester, but it is crucial to have healthy and nutritious food items every day. If you can’t have the traditional food, try some light food items that have a blend of all the essential nutrients, like veggie omelette.
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup chopped spinach
- ½ cup chopped vegetables (capsicum /mushroom / broccoli / vegetable of your choice)
- ½ diced tomato
- 2 cheese slices (Pasteurized)
- 3 tablespoons of boiled milk
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper for taste
- Take a bowl and beat eggs with milk.
- Add the chopped spinach, vegetables and diced tomato to this mixture and season it with salt and pepper.
- If you like, you can boil the spinach and vegetables in a pressure cooker before adding it with eggs.
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick pan and reduce the flame to medium heat. Now pour the mixture and spread it widely on the pan.
- Allow the egg to settle and cook for 2 minutes. Place the cheese slices on one side of the omelette and gently fold with the other half over the top of the slices.
- Slightly press and allow the cheese to melt for about 1 minute.
- Remove it from the pan and have it with whole wheat bread or fruit juice.
This omelette will provide a nutritional boost to your body during pregnancy.
3) Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
Are you feeling exhausted to wake up in the morning and cook breakfast while you’re pregnant? Here is a simple solution to that: Apple cinnamon oatmeal which can be cooked overnight. This recipe will tantalize your taste buds and provide you with nutrition like omega -3 fatty acids, calcium, folate, iron, vitamins and dietary fibre crucial during pregnancy.
- Low fat milk – 1 cup
- Oats – 2/3 cup
- Cinnamon – ½ tablespoon
- Chopped apple – 1 small
- Chopped walnuts – few
- Take boiled milk and oats in a pan. Add cinnamon to this mixture and stir well.
- Cook the oatmeal for about 10 minutes.
- You can add sugar while cooking, if you prefer it to be sweet.
- Cover it with a plastic wrap and leave it in the fridge overnight.
You can also add strawberries instead of apples.
4) Dates Milkshake
Pregnancy can be exhausting at times and your body might demand rest from routine chores. In such situations, it is good to listen to your body and give it a break. Most pregnancy symptoms rob your appetite for healthy nutritious food and you may end up eating crackers all day. Here is a simple yet powerful recipe to give you nutritional boost:
This may not sound interesting but the powerfu dates milkshakel pregnancy shake will entice your taste buds and revitalize your tired body. It is filled with required calcium, iron, protein and vitamins and also be light on your tummy. This is a perfect drink for morning sickness & heartburn.
- Dates – ¼ cup
- Banana (ripe) – ½ – 1
- Milk – 1 cup
- Ice cubes
- Dry nuts – for topping
- Remove seeds from the dates and soak it in warm milk for about 15 minutes.
- Peel off the skin and cut the banana into small pieces.
- Add banana, dates soaked in milk and ice cubes in a blender.
- Blend it in the blender till the ingredients mix well and become smooth.
- Add dry nuts of your choice, chop them and add them to the milkshake.
- Serve cool.
Pregnancy is the time to eat healthy food, but morning sickness and food aversions may keep expectant mothers from having proper meals. There are some essential nutrients required during pregnancy for the normal development of the baby. Having healthy ingredients in the form of your favourite dish is one way of having nutritional boost during pregnancy, for instance adding almonds, flax seeds and dates to smoothie.
Almond smoothies givenourishment to the growing baby &the expectant mother. The healthy fat provides energy and the rich fibre content helps to alleviate constipation. Dates are added to the smoothie for sweetness; however, it is also rich in iron and vitamins. This prenatal power drink also helps to maintain the fluid balance and completes the morning breakfast.
- ½ cup skinned almonds
- 4-5 dates, (seeds removed)
- A pinch of cardamom and
- ½ teaspoon of flax seeds, grounded
- 1 cup of water
- Soak the almonds overnight and remove the skin in the morning or pour some boiling water till it covers the almonds for 5 minutes to peel off its skin easily.
- Discard the skin and place it in a blender with su cient water. Blend till it becomes smooth.
- Now add dates, grounded flax, cardamom and sa ron to the mixture and blend it again.
- Add ice, if you prefer it cold. Drink it fresh or carry it in a shaker.
6) Citrus smoothie
Eating healthy and nutritious food during pregnancy is not difficult if you know how to trick your mind and palate into eating them . Is morning sickness taking over your taste buds and giving a hard time for your appetite? Here is a healthy and tasty remedy to tackle this – Citrus Smoothie.
Citrus fruits are known for their ability to check nausea and vomiting in pregnant women. They are also loaded with vitamins &minerals, providing a nutritional boost. Smoothies are also easy to have even when you skip your breakfast.
- Freshly squeezed orange juice – 1 cup (3 oranges)
- Freshly squeezed lime juice – 1 tablespoon
- Diced Strawberries (top removed) – ¾ cup
- Ripe banana – 1
- Ice and water
- Add all the ingredients and blend in a mixer till it becomes smooth.
- Serve fresh.
Although citrus smoothie is good, do not have it every day. It is advisable to eat as many fruits as possible to get the content rather than having it as juice.
7) Spinach Smoothie
Spinach is not just popeye’s favourite; it can also be your super friend during pregnancy as it is rich in iron, protein, calcium and folate. Include spinach in your diet as often as possible because it covers your body’s increased need for iron, folate, fibre etc. It is also rich in vitamin C to keep your immune system strong while you’re pregnant.
Having spinach everyday can be boring and di cult with food aversions in the first trimester. Here is a new spinach recipe that will please your palate and stay light on the tummy.
- Low fat or Greek yogurt – ½ cup
- Ripe banana = 1 (small) Fresh spinach leaves – as required ( 2 handfuls can be good)
- Flaxseed powder –
- 2 tablespoons
- Ice cubes
- Mix plain low fat yogurt, spinach, sliced banana, flaxseed powder in a blender or mixer.
- Add little water to the mix and blend till it becomes smooth.
- Serve it cool with ice.
You can use greek yogurt instead of low fat yogurt &banana can be replaced with any frozen fruit like mango or even berries. This covers the spinach flavour and also gives a refreshing taste.
8) Dry fruit Laddoos –
Yummy and nutritious snack. Dry fruits are highly recommended for pregnant women as they’re loaded with vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients required for the baby and the mother. Dry fruit laddoos are a traditional Indian snack Indian snack which provides a balanced nutritional boost to expectant mothers.
This laddoo is rich in protein, iron, vitamin B6, B12, E, Omega-3 fat, magnesium, manganese, zinc, calcium, potassium etc.
- Seedless dates – 2 cups
- Almonds – ½ cup
- Walnuts – ½ cup
- Dried figs – ½ cup
- Dried apricots – ½ cup
- Cashew nuts – ½ cup
- Pumpkin seeds – ¼ cup
- Chop dates, apricots and fig into small pieces and keep them aside.
- Chop almonds, walnuts and cashew nuts. Add pumpkin seeds to the mixture and place them on a hot pan.
- Dry roast till they turn golden brown and allow the mixture to cool.
- Use a blender to grind the nuts till they become grainy (Do not make fine powder).
- Add the nut mixture to the chopped dates, apricots and fig. Mix them well so that the moist dates can spread thoroughly.
- Take small portions of the mixture and roll them to make balls. Leave for few hours to set.
You Can Have Dried Fruit Laddoos Every Morning With A Glass Of Milk.
You can also read about health and nutrition by going through the link given below:-